Just a quick post: I asked my doctor to check my vitamin and mineral levels, after a friend expressed concern over my vegan diet and the supposed lack of nutrients.
Thus far, the test results have shown that my iron count is "within normal limits". That's right, people, you can get all the iron you need without any animal products!
And it says that my "complete blood count" is also "within normal limits", which means I have the right amount of red and white cells and platelets. [thanks, Wikipedia]
Full disclosure: I take a daily multivitamin to supplement the B12 that doesn't occur naturally in a plant-based diet. And taking a supplement does not make a person weak or indicate malnourishment: it's a smart thing to do no matter what type of diet you choose to follow. Taking a daily supplement is generally a good idea, especially since most Americans (meat-eating or not) don't get enough of the vitamins and minerals they need from their food. Just do your research and understand what you're ingesting: you don't want to overdo it on some minerals and vitamins, and if you're vegan you don't want to take pills that have animal products in them.
I'll keep you updated as more test results are reported. The other tests are for B12 and vitamin D levels.
Oh yeah, also, look at this healthy eating plate constructed by the geniuses at Harvard: it's better than the USDA eating plate, because it is non-political, and it allows for vegetarians and vegans to feel included. Plus it's basically an image of what we eat at Harvest House every night. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't eat so much great, healthy food if I didn't live there. HARVEST LUV 4-EVA
No comments:
Post a Comment